Nordic Njerd

This blog will cover a history of my use of computers and technology over the past 40+ years and on-going thoughts on the use of new technology

Saturday, February 04, 2006

What's in a name?


Nordic Njerd is mine since I am of Scandinavian heritage and have always been sort of a technical nerd. From the Wikipedia - "Traditionally, a nerd is a very intelligent but lonely and socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge, especially science. A nerd who is versed in computer technology can also be a hacker. Beginning in the late 1990s, many nerds on the Internet reclaimed the word nerd as a badge of pride, and began using it as a positive description of any technically competent person, with less implication or focus on social awkwardness."

My great-grandparents came over from Norway and Sweden. Both grandmothers were Norwegian and both grandfathers were Swedish. See other Wikipedia definitions for Nordic and Scandinavia

I have used computers since the 1960's. Even if before if you consider my first computer being a Wolverine Adding Machine in the 1950's.

My profile picture is from when I was about 5 years old. I already had my nerd glasses at that time as well.

I scored 54% and 51.4% on the following Nerd tests. Check them out to see how much of a nerd you are. Nerd test Long nerd test

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home